Monday, July 20, 2015

Reviews



As an author, I understand the importance of reviews. If nothing else, they let you know if the reader enjoyed what you wrote (and some tell you why they didn't so you can make changes if needed,)

Knowing all that, I still have a hard time writing reviews. Why? Because for me reading is very subjective. I will read almost anything, and rarely have DNF's (did not finish). In fact, the only book I know I've never finished is The Hobbit. And I've started it twice. Not sure why I can't get in to that book :-)

Back to reviews. When I read on my Kindle, I'm offer an opportunity to star books when I get to the end, and sometimes I do, and other times I don't. Why? Because I also feel compelled to leave a written review, and I don't always have the time to leave those for every book I read. (There are times I read at least one book a day, sometimes more.)

When I do review, I give my opinion and tell who I think will like the book. I don't do spoilers, and I rarely recap the story line. That's how I review. When I read reviews (which I don't always. I'm a cool cover and hooked by a book blurb kind of book buyer), I like the ones that warn me that the book is part of a series and ends on a cliff hanger, or that the characters weren't well developed. Do these reviews always deter me? Nope. Sometimes I buy a book because I can't believe it was just that bad :-)

I understand if you don't leave a review when you read, but if you've truly enjoyed a book, try to at least talk it up to your friends. Word of mouth is another great way to help an author. And we appreciate all the help we can get!! Just remember:  ALWAYS BE HONEST in your review.

Thank you to all who have left reviews for each of my books. I do read them/watch them and appreciate the feedback.

***

Looking for a light, summer read? See why Meg Gray recommends The Boyfriend Project in this video review


2 comments:

  1. Nice post, Mary. Sometimes, when I don't have time to write a full review, I go ahead and leave the stars anyway. I think it cheers and author to know how they are impacting readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great point, Elizabeth. I'll have to remember that when I'm tempted to pass up those stars at the end :-)

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love reading comments and will respond by e-mail as soon as possible.