Monday, January 26, 2015

Review of DOUBLE LIFE by S Usher Evans

Piracy is a game. How much are you worth?

Since she was a little girl, everyone - from her father to the Great Creator himself - told Lyssa Peate the same thing: she's worthless. But when she becomes the pirate bounty hunter Razia, she can see the price tag on her own head. Employed by one of the four pirate syndicates, she uses bank transactions and her considerable wits to capture rival members. At least, she would be if Razia's boss ever gave her a chance. It's a man’s world, and all she’s allowed to hunt are purse snatchers while she languishes on probation.

To pay the bills, she's stuck in her old life as Lyssa, discovering and analyzing distant planets and selling them for cash. She's doing just enough to stay out of trouble, pretending to be continuing her father's mysterious research while away for long periods of time. Her slimy boss is always asking questions and even assigns one of her younger brothers, Vel, to intern with her. Already struggling to keep the balance between her double lives, she tries everything to rid herself of the kid...

...until the universal police mistake Lyssa’s intern for Razia's hostage.



*****

OK, so let me start by saying, this book isn't my usual read. I really like to have a bit more romance in my stories, but...that doesn't mean I didn't like this book.

Ms. Evans did a fantastic job of world building. And, while there was a lot of science things in there, I didn't feel it was overly complicated or difficult to follow.  

I didn't really understand how a pirate could also be a bounty hunter, as those two things seem diametrically opposed to me. I also felt there were times that Razia wasn't as strong as she could be- that she acted more like Lyssa would (which may have been intentional, seeing they are the same person ;-))

Still, I'm looking forward to reading the Alliances, the second book in the series.

My final rating: 3 1/2 stars.

Get your copy of DOUBLE LIFE free on Amazon

*****
S. Usher Evans is an author, blogger, and witty banter aficionado. 

1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard of this book. Thanks for the review. It sounds like a different kind of story. Congratulations to S. Usher. Best of luck to you.
    I've nominated you for an award, Mary. You can pick it up and my blog.
    http://beverlystowemcclure.blogspot.com
    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love reading comments and will respond by e-mail as soon as possible.