Thursday, November 10, 2011

Procrastination and NaNo Update

I had hoped to have my current WIP finished before the beginning of November. Due to a series of events, that didn't happen.  So, I figured I could finish it up the first week of NaNo and dive into the WIP I want to work on.  That didn't happen either.

On Sunday, I told my CP's (for probably the third time) I hoped to have it finished by Wednesday at the latest, then I would send it to them after a quick read through.  Yesterday was Wednesday, and you guessed it.  It didn't happen.  I am closer-- just three chapters away from the end, in fact.  But three chapters that need more overhauling than I had thought.

It was bothering me this week that I was behind, and I found myself pushing off sitting down to write.  It made me wonder if I was procrastinating because I didn't want to end working on this particular story, or if my mind was telling me I needed more time to work out where these changes were taking me ending.  I think it was both, and have learned something in the process.  Sometimes it is good to wait for that knot to unravel, but other times, you just need to sit down and write.

NaNo Update:

11/3- 538
11/4- 0 (Yup- but I got to see Jeff Dunham live!)
11/5- 500
11/6- 2007
11/7- 0
11/8- 1540
11/9- 591

For a total of  5176 (as you can see, I am far behind the 1667 words a day and approximately 14000 words a week needed to reach 50,000 words.  But, I am OK with that.) 

4 comments:

  1. You know I love you Mary -- but I got four words of encouragement for you -- ASS IN THE CHAIR! You'll get there, I know you will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, NaNo is not the end all and be all. It's secondary. Work on your WIP and get it where you need it to be. NaNo will be back next year. :)

    You're doing great...keep it up!

    Michelle
    Author of Concilium, available July 2012
    Concilium: The Departure, November 2012

    www.Michelle-Pickett.com
    www.Conciliumbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Mary!!! Don't be discouraged, at least you're doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. NaNo is no help if it stresses you out instead of motivating you. Write on the project that needs you the most, and forget about the goals and the rules!

    With that said, you could always stop by The Practice Room for an hour's dedicated writing time "in the company of others." I'm hosting a session tonight at 8pm EST, and there are daytime slots as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love reading comments and will respond by e-mail as soon as possible.