Monday, May 23, 2011

Juggling WIP's

When you are writing, do you focus on one WIP at a time, or do you have multiples going?  I've been trying to focus on one WIP, but my mind keeps dropping other stories into my mind to play with.

I am thinking of rotating between the two WIP's, so when I get stuck on one, I can work on the other while my subconscious works out the problems.

In the meantime, I have been beta reading from Graeme of The Fool and The Fair.  He has great humor (and a cool website with an awesome dragon!), so go check it out!!!!  And Graeme, thanks for all the help the last couple of weeks!

So- how many WIP's do you have going?  Pros and cons to working on more than one??

3 comments:

  1. I try to focus on the main WIP, but sometimes it's good to step away and work on something fresh to give your mind time to breath. It also makes a writer's block easier to get through- you'll be working on a different story and all of a sudden you know how to fix that one scene you couldn't quite figure out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was basically me a few months ago. I usually get momemtum going for one and just go full speed ahead when I'm drafting, but then about halfway through my last WIP, I had to take a writing hiatus (life, and all got in the way... the jerk...) and then started something else. For me, it's hard to get in and out of voices and switch back, but I'm able to do that when I'm editing both; not drafting. :) So, pros: if you can handle the workload and the voice change, you get two books for the (seemingly) price of one. Cons: you might go insane. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can draft one and edit another. But I usually don't have time to do both. When I draft, I draft, and when I edit, I edit. The pro to this is I can focus and actually make progress on my project.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love reading comments and will respond by e-mail as soon as possible.